Event Support Program
The Event Support Program focuses on sport program development. The program provides financial support to communities and associations to assist them in hosting major sport events, and as a result, promotes economic growth throughout the province.
Eligible applicants include, but are not limited to:
- Community not-for-profit groups registered (and in good standing) under one of the following:
- Societies Act
- Agricultural Societies Act
- Acts of Parliament
- Non-registered not-for-profit groups providing up to date financial statements and support documentation
- First Nations and Métis Settlements
- Educational Institutions
- For-profit organizations will not be considered for funding.
Applications will be accepted for the following events
- World Championships -- up to $25,000
- World Cups/International Events -- up to $20,000
- Canadian/North American Championships/Cups -- up to $15,000
- Western Canadian Championships/Cups -- up to $5,000
- Pre-event expenses and bid preparation for Multi Sport Events: Olympic Games, Pan Am Games, Commonwealth Games as well as International Championships and Events -- up to $20,000
International Championships and Events
Must be sanctioned by the International governing body.
Canadian/North American Championships and Events
Those that include representation from no less than seven provinces/territories/states (teams or individuals may have earned the right through playoffs to represent more than one province, territory/state). Such events require sanction by the National Organization.
Western Canadian Championships and Events
Those that include representation from no less than four provinces/territories. Such events require sanction by the Provincial Association.
Applications will be reviewed on their individual merits based on the objectives of Alberta Sport Connection, the financial resources available, and the following parameters:
- Funding totalling $40,000 is the maximum awarded to any one sport in any fiscal year
- All projects must fit within the mandate of Alberta Sport Connection
- Funding amounts are maximum levels and may be adjusted depending on the number of applications received
- Priority will be given to programs for the development of youth
- If more than one Alberta group is bidding to host the same event, funding may be available only after the Alberta representative has been determined
- Annual community based or provincial events are not eligible for funding
- Priority will be given to applicants that have not received hosting funding in previous years
- Financial assistance towards pre-event expenses and bid preparation will constitute a portion of the total hosting funding if the bid is successful
The Event Support Grant application package includes information on eligibility, the application process, your commitment and criteria. Please note the application package was updated on June 2016.
For program information, contact:
Alberta Games and Marketing
Alberta Sport Connection
#620, 615 Macleod Trail SE
Calgary, AB T2G 4T8